Call for Applications
Academic Convention Coordinators
of the International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS), for the organisation of the 2018 IAPSS Academic Convention.
Deadline for Application Submissions: 31 July 2018 (19:59 CEST)
The International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS) – the largest international organisation representing students of political science and related disciplines worldwide – offers unique opportunities for students and junior researchers to grow professionally and personally in a global network. IAPSS is hereby launching a Call for five Coordinators tasked with the organisation of the 2018 Academic Convention in Singapore together with the already elected Head of Convention (HoC). The positions are all in the HoC Department.
IAPSS’ second largest annual academic conference for students of political science and related disciplines, the Academic Convention 2018 will take place in Singapore between 19 and 23 of November 2018, on the theme “Rethinking Development: Innovative Policies for Social and Economic Advancement.” The event will be conducted in partnership with the Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF), an intergovernmental organization strengthening relations between Asia and Europe.
We are looking for candidates for the following positions: Deputy Head of Convention, Administration Coordinator; Program Coordinator, Panels; Program Coordinator, Speakers; and Sponsorship and Media Coordinator.
Deputy Head of Convention
The Deputy Head of Convention is responsible for assisting the Head of Convention on all logistical matters of the Academic Convention. Tasks include:
- overseeing the venue(s) management of the Academic Convention 2018;
- drafting and implementing the social program;
- supervising a team of volunteers that will assist prior to and during the conference;
- arranging and managing all other logistical aspects (e.g. accommodation, catering, business lunches, printing) prior to and during the conference.
For this position, candidates based in the city of the venue and having a good knowledge of the city will be considered first. Prior experience in event management is an asset.
The Convention Administration Coordinator is in charge of various tasks, including:
- sending invitations for the conference to political science departments;
- preparing newsletters and other communications for the participants;
- monitoring all registrations and payments;
- replying to inquiries from participants and interested students;
- drafting visa invitation letters for participants who require them;
- setting-up the evaluation process of the Convention (event survey, data assessment).
Knowledge of WordPress and Mailchimp is not required, although appreciated.
Program Coordinator, Panels
The Program Coordinator, Panels (also Panels Coordinator) is primarily in charge of the administration of the student panels, and cooperates closely with the IAPSS Academic Coordinator and the Academic Committee, a newly formed body in charge of the academic management (review and selection of abstracts, papers, scholarships and awards recipients) of the Academic Convention. The responsibilities include:
- creating and managing various submission platforms – abstract, papers, travel grants and chair/discussant applications;
- replying to inquiries from paper presenters, chairs and discussants;
- preparing communications and documentation for panelists;
- finalising the student panels together with the IAPSS Academic Committee;
- drafting letters of acceptance for panelists who require them;
- supervising the on-site management of the student panels.
Knowledge of WordPress and Mailchimp is not required, although appreciated. Previous experience of an academic conference (attending/organising) is desirable.
Program Coordinator, Speakers
The Program Coordinator, Speakers (also Speakers Coordinator) is responsible for the conceptualisation and setting-up of the speakers programmation of the Academic Convention:
- drafting the speakers programmation of the Convention;
- creating, sharing, and gathering lists of potential speakers;
- contacting and securing the presence of speakers, overseeing similar processes with IAPSS partners’ speakers;
- communicating regularly with booked speakers, and arranging logistical matters (e.g. travel and accommodation details, meetings, presentation slides).
Previous experience with program management is highly desirable.
Sponsorship and Media Coordinator
The Sponsorship and Media Coordinator is in charge of the social media marketing of the Academic Convention 2018, and is working towards the increase of the financial capabilities of the event, by securing either sponsorships or services. He/she will work closely with the International Cooperation and Public Relations (ICPR) Department.
- drafting and implementing the Convention’s social media communication strategies;
- helping to update and improve Convention pages on the IAPSS website
- designing and adapting the printed materials of the Convention, such as but not limited to guidebook, certificates, badges, based on existing templates;
- creating and managing sponsorship and advertisement packages;
- mapping and securing potential sponsors – international, national and local.
Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and/or InDesign, or willingness to learn independently, is appreciated.
Furthermore, all position-holders have common responsibilities, such as:
- participating in weekly Skype meetings;
- writing website, newsletters, and guidebook contents related to their fields;
- maintaining and/or improving the guidelines and handover documents related to their positions;
- other department-related tasks assigned by the Head of the Department.
All positions require:
- a high degree of mutual responsibility, motivation, self-initiative and dedication, combined with reliability and flexibility with regards to the work in a highly international environment with a strong intercultural competence;
- readiness to devote approximately 10 hours per week to the execution of the various tasks that come together with the positions;
- available and present in Singapore between the 18 and 23 of November 2018, in order to attend the Academic Convention;
- excellent command of the English language (spoken and written) and strong communication skills;
- current or recent enrollment in a political science or related programme (of any educational level including undergraduate, graduate studies, or PhD position);
- experience in and willingness to work with a high degree of organisational and conceptual freedom, but punctual and committed to adhere to work-related frameworks.
It is beneficial if candidates have:
- experience with organising events and/or conferences;
- attended IAPSS events in the past.
Framework of the Position
The positions are – as all other positions within IAPSS – voluntary and unpaid, and apply for the period from 1 August 2018 to 31 May 2019. Costs and expenses related to the execution of the position (e.g. for travel, accommodation, public transport) are covered by IAPSS (budget allowing).
Occupying one of the positions implies that you are a member of IAPSS at the moment of your installment (8 August 2018). IAPSS membership embraces a wide range of benefits and services and comes at a student-friendly rate of either 10 or 15 EUR p.a. depending on your country of origin. Discounted rates are available for two-year memberships.
Please send your CV and a letter of motivation (max. 1 page, referring to your experience, skills, interests, and plans related to the position of interest) to email@example.com no later than 31 July 2018.
All applicants will be notified within 7 working days from 31 July 2018.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a Skype interview. The installment will take place on 8 August. Please do not hesitate to contact us in case of further questions or inquiries.
On behalf of the IAPSS Executive Committee,
Head of Convention Department
Member of the Executive Committee