IAPSS Summer School 2018
“Migration on the Mediterranean Sea”
Organized by the International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS) & Centre International de Formation Européenne (CIFE)
in Nice, France
September 24 – September 30 2018
(Arrival Day: September 23 / Departure Day: October 1)
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Migration is a global phenomenon, which defines the change from a home country to a foreign country. It is created by the increasing world population, compression of social spheres, inequality and social crises like war or persecution, but also in order to reach for a better standard of living. Within the dynamic process of migration occur many problems like exclusion, racism and human trafficking. Due to the relatively high standard of living and safety in Europe more and more humans are seeking to emigrate to Europe. Most of them see the Mediterranean Sea as a route within they are travelling to Europe, as the harbour of their hopes and realisation of their dreams. Many of them are trying to enter with dangerous and illegal ways, which unfortunately can cost them their life. European countries, especially countries by the Mediterranean Sea, have the responsible role to guard these lives by humanitarian aid and human rights. It is apparent that Europe needs to not only find a solution to migration challenges which concern to life-preserving measures, but it also has to provide a sustainable future for the European project itself. While the numbers of the fleeing migrants is evidently decreasing, more than 1400 people are estimated dead or missing while opting for the Mediterranean route as of July 2018.
What has to be done? Perhaps a better assessment of migration management? Addressing the roots of the key issues by unpicking the asylum cases or unravelling the origin of the conflicts by working on economic development and overall improvement of governance in the affected countries; fostering conflict prevention and guaranteeing the protection of all human rights…
Application and Selection Process
Motivated undergraduate and Master’s students, as well as early PhD candidates, are invited to submit their applications. Applications are accepted until August 26. We will review applications as they arrive on a rolling basis. Once we receive your application, we will notify you within three working days whether the application was successful or not. Individuals interested in participating in the IAPSS Summer School 2018 are requested to submit a written application containing (1) your CV, (2) a letter of motivation (1 page). Your letter of motivation should state at least (a) your previous experiences with the topic, (b) your motivation for joining this Summer School, and (c) how this Summer School would contribute to your development. Be creative! Please note that the application process is competitive due to a limited number of tickets. Decision on admission is mainly based on the motivation letter, which is why we encourage applicants to put a special emphasis on this document.
What can Participants Expect?
● An academically challenging program consisting of lectures, seminars and hands-on workshops in a highly interactive and vibrant setting contributing to the personal and academic development of each participant.
● Discussing and debating with a range of experts in the field of Migration as well as getting first-hand insights on their current research and teaching methods; also featuring so-called research surgeries, which include exclusive one on one meetings with our guest professors and workshop conductors to discuss your own research proposals for term papers or dissertation.
● Meeting fellow students from all over the world interested in a joint multi-perspective examination of the topics addressed.
● Participation in working groups according to the specific interest of each participant in order to work on a small-scale group project before, during and after the Summer School. The working groups will work on a fixed topic and present their progress during the last day of the event to fellow participants. This enables the participants to find academic exchange and allows them to share their knowledge and ideas with other participants. Each working group also has the opportunity to publish an academic article in our peer-reviewed flagship journal POLITIKON, if the entire group or individuals are interested in doing so.
● Access to a fully-fledged eLearning platform with key readings for the school and beyond, but also additional facts, figures and slides provided.
● Exploring Nice and surroundings as well as a variety of social events (incl. documentary screenings, common lunches, reading circles and informal get togethers).
● What else to expect? Much more!
Participation Fee and Requirements
IAPSS events are designed to be socially, culturally, religiously and politically inclusive by bringing students of political science and related disciplines from various academic backgrounds, political contexts, level of studies, age and gender together. This aims to create an interactive and multidisciplinary space of social and academic debate and interaction. Taking into account global income disparities, the IAPSS Summer School 2018 seeks to offer a student-friendly, low-cost participation fee of 199 €. This participation fee includes access to all lectures, workshops and social events, all Summer School materials, a personal IAPSS Summer School 2018 participation kit, and an official Certificate of Participation and a Certificate Supplement stating the details of your achievements. The fee has to be transferred in advance in order to confirm your participation, but only after you have been notified on successful selection. The payment can be done via credit card, PayPal and other devices through the IAPSS Webstore.
Please note that IAPSS does not offer any discount or scholarship for this event. We recommend consulting with your university/academic institution for individual financial support for participation and travel costs. Also, a range of foundations and academic institutions offer grants and scholarships for seasonal schools.
IAPSS Membership is required in order to participate in the IAPSS Summer School 2018. IAPSS Membership comes at only 15.00€ (for citizens of Europe incl. Russia and Turkey, the United States, Canada, Israel, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Singapore and Malaysia) or 10 EUR (for all other countries) per year (discounted rates for two-year membership are available for 25 and 15 EUR respectively) and offers you a wide range of benefits, including priority access to IAPSS Conferences, IAPSS Delegations, and IAPSS Study Trips as well as the opportunity to participate in IAPSS’ political science journals POLITIKON and ELA – ENCUENTRO LATINOAMERICA, and the IAPSS’ IR blog A Different View. Also, members receive the biweekly IAPSS News & Opportunities condensing political science opportunities such as internships, jobs, conference calls and more. Find all information on the services we provide and how to apply here.
Your Organizing Committee
Head of Events Department
Lia Basilia Mouftoglou
Seasonal School Coordinator
Seasonal School Coordinator