Deadline for Application Submissions: July 13, 2020
The International Association for Political Science Students is looking for a suitable applicant to fill the position of Deputy Secretary General within the IAPSS Secretariat. This position is tasked with ensuring that Secretariat meetings and initiatives run smoothly, as well as undertaking special projects at the direction of the Secretary General. In other words, this position is integral to ensuring that the internal infrastructure of IAPSS continues to function so the organization can stay afloat. It is one of the most demanding roles in the organization but also one of the most rewarding. This position’s mandate extends from the time of appointment to June 1, 2021. Its duties can be fulfilled remotely, providing that there is a sufficient internet connection.
- scheduling regular Secretariat meetings with team members in multiple timezones
- taking minutes at Secretariat meetings and other meetings as directed by the Secretary General
- expediting tasks to Secretariat team members and following up to ensure tasks are completed
- assisting with staffing processes
- providing guidance on IAPSS policies, membership strategies, IT and digital operations, and the IAPSS website
- attending meetings on behalf of the Secretariat as necessary
- responding to requests for information from other IAPSS departments and providing them with this information from the website, Google Analytics, etc.
- Being available on IAPSS internal communications channels daily and responding to messages within at least 48 hours
These duties will require a commitment of at least 12 hours each week. This level of commitment is the bare minimum and is expected to be maintained through to the end of the position’s mandate on June 1, 2021.
The following criteria are strongly recommended assets. Since it is rare that an individual has experience in all of these aspects, a willingness to learn is crucial.
- Knowledge of the project management application Slack or an equivalent program
- A working knowledge of WordPress or an equivalent website platform
- Experience with Google Drive, Gmail, Google Forms, Google Admin, Google Analytics, and other related products in the Google Suite
- Experience taking minutes and drafting agendas
- Experience conducting research, creating reports, and drafting proposals and agreements
- Experience with the policies and guiding documents of democratic organizations, especially non-profit organizations and decision-making procedures such as Robert’s Rules of Order or an equivalent
- A proactive work ethic (expediting tasks on the Secretariat To Do List without being prompted)
- Experiencing drafting correspondence to external stakeholders and other organizations
- A working knowledge of data protection laws including but not limited to the GDPR of the European Union
- Strong communication skills in English
- A commitment to student advocacy and recognizing the importance of democratic and transparent student government
Like all role within IAPSS, the deputy secretary general is an unpaid volunteer position. However, the benefits it yields are significant, which include:
- Experience working with a non-profit with a global mandate and reach
- Building a network of international contacts in the field of higher education, politics, business, and related fields
- Opportunities to participate in IAPSS events and initiatives that make a difference in the lives of political science students around the globe
- Contributing to student advocacy initiatives at national and international levels
- A wealth of learning opportunities and practical experience in highly employable skills and competencies in the fields of policy analysis, research, website development, information technology, information management, non-profit management and legislation, political science education, and public administration
- The opportunity to contribute to one of the last surviving international student governments on the planet that liaises with organizations including, but not limited to, the International Political Science Association (IPSA), the International Studies Association (ISA), the European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR), and UNESCO
To occupy this position, you must be a member of IAPSS at the moment of your installment. IAPSS membership embraces a wide range of benefits and services and comes at a student-friendly annual rate of either 10 or 15 Euros depending on your country of origin. Discounted rates are available for two-year memberships. You can sign up to be an IAPSS member here.
Please send your CV and a letter of motivation (1-2 pages, referring to your experience, skills, interests, and plans related to the position) to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline mentioned above. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a Skype interview.
For questions or inquiries, please contact:
IAPSS Secretary General
International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS)
Postbox 9108 | 6500HK Nijmegen | The Netherlands
www.iapss.org | www.facebook.com/iapss | www.twitter.com/iapss
|Job Category||Organisational Work|