for the journals of the International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS) Politikon: IAPSS Journal of Political Science and Encuentro Latinoamericano: Journal of Political Science and International Relations
The International Association for Political Science Students – the most prominent global organization bringing together students and junior researchers of Political Science and related disciplines – is herewith launching a Call for Applications for the positions of Editorial Assistant for its two journals, with prospects for promotion to Editorial Board members of selected candidates. As the IAPSS journals believe in diversity improving the quality of the collaborative work and interactions, through this call they specifically intend to recruit an Editorial Assistant with a demonstrable connection to Africa.
An Editorial Assistant works within the IAPSS Academic Department in close cooperation with the Editors-in-Chief and Deputy Editors-in-Chief of both journals (according to internal allocations).
The two IAPSS journals (IAPSS Politikon and ELA) are among the leading journals in the discipline managed by students and junior researchers. They are currently indexed in International Political Science Abstracts, J-Gate, and deposited in Crossref.
The Editorial Assistant contributes to the successful publication process and quality development of the IAPSS journals by mainly, but not exclusively:
- proofreading draft articles accepted for publication;
- editing reference lists of academic articles;
- formatting papers in MS Word or another suitable program;
- occasionally providing substantive feedback to submissions at various stages as advice to Editorial Board members;
- depending on need for assistance, depositing metadata of articles for IAPSS journals.
A suitable candidate IS REQUIRED to:
- be a student in one of the fields of political science, international relations, law, public policy or economics, or a graduate with a degree obtained no less than seven years prior to application;
- have a demonstrable connection to the region of Africa;
- possess command of the English language at the level of a native speaker (C2 of the Common European Framework for Reference of Languages).
Furthermore, the position demands:
- dedication to the job;
- excellent command of MS Word;
- strong organizational skills;
- a professional level of communication;
- efficient time management;
- the capacity to meet deadlines.
It is beneficial but not required if candidates
- possess command of Spanish or Portuguese at the level of a native speaker or at advanced level (C2 or C1 of the Common European Framework for Reference of Languages);
- have experience with Adobe InDesign and with graphic design;
- have previous experience in editing with journals, blogs, newspapers. or other outlets;
- understand the process of depositing metadata and indexing services.
- The position is – as all other positions within IAPSS – UNPAID and extends until the mutual satisfaction of the position-holder and the IAPSS Board, represented by the Editors-in-Chief of the two journals and the Head of the Academic Department.
- In addition, occupying the position implies that you are a member of IAPSS at the moment of your installment and during your whole term as Editorial Assistant. Therefore, if you are not already a member, you will be required to apply for membership in case you are accepted as an Editorial Assistant.
- Both journals strive for diversity in terms of gender as well as previous university and other academic experiences. Applications from representatives of minorities and historically disadvantaged groups are particularly encouraged. For this call, applicants specializing on African Politics and/or Quantitative/Mixed Methods are particularly sought, though applicants with other specializations will also be considered.
- The position provides a unique insight into the academic publishing process that is particularly relevant for aspiring junior scholars with an interest in academic publishing and research.
- The position offers the chance to contribute to the quality of the IAPSS journals, and thus advance career prospects related to editing and proofreading.
- Through the interaction with the Editorial Boards of IAPSS journals, the position-holder will be able to establish new contacts and gain a better understanding of the functioning of IAPSS Academics.
- Upon satisfaction with the performed tasks, it is possible to receive a certificate from the respective journal Editor-in-Chief, or a letter of recommendation. On a case-by-case basis, the position can be classified as an unpaid internship for which it is possible to earn ECTS credits (depending on the individual’s university regulations).
- Depending on academic qualifications and expertise, demonstrated motivation, excellence in the performed tasks, and vacancies in the Editorial Board of either of the IAPSS journals, an Editorial Assistant might receive an offer for promotion to the Editorial Board of one of the IAPSS journals.
If you would like to apply, please upload your CV (max. 2 pages) – including references to relevant personal and academic experiences – alongside a 1-page letter of motivation to the designated section below as soon as possible and no later than 30 October 2020. Selected applicants will receive a test article to edit in order to demonstrate their qualification for the position.
Please do not hesitate to contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org in case of further questions or inquiries
Editor-in-Chief of IAPSS Politikon
Anthony Medina Rivas Plata
Editor-in-Chief of Encuentro Latinoamericano
 In the event of a lack of specialized knowledge, introductory training will be provided.