of the International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS), for the organisation of the 2020 IAPSS World Congress in Vienna, Austria.
Deadline for Application Submissions: 5th of November (23:59 CEST)
The International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS) – the largest international organisation representing students of political science and related disciplines worldwide – offers unique opportunities for students and junior researchers to grow professionally and personally in a global network. IAPSS is hereby launching a Call for four Coordinators tasked with the organisation and implementation of the 2020 World Congress in Austria. All of the Coordinators are expected to work together with the Head of the World Congress in the World Congress Department.
IAPSS’ largest annual academic conference for students of political science and related disciplines, will take place in Vienna between 21st and 24th of April 2020 and will feature the theme Democracy, Identity, and Power. The event will be conducted in partnership with the Central European University (CEU), one of the most one of the most densely international universities in the world. The Central European University will be hosting the World Congress.
We are looking for candidates for the following positions:
(1)Deputy Head of the World Congress
(2) Administration Coordinator
(3) Administration Coordinator Assistant
(4) Sponsorship and Grants Coordinator
(5) Speakers Coordinator
(6) Speakers Coordinator Assistant
(7) Promotion Coordinator
(8) Panels Coordinator
(9) Panels Coordinator Assistant
Disclaimer: Priority will be given to candidates in Vienna
1. Deputy Head of the World Congress
The Deputy Head of World Congress is responsible for assisting the Head of the World Congress on all logistical matters of this event. Tasks include:
- overseeing the venue(s) management of the World Congress in Vienna 2020;
- drafting and implementing the social program;
- supervising a team of volunteers that will assist prior to and during the conference;
- arranging and managing all other logistical aspects (e.g. accommodation, catering, business lunches, printing) prior to and during the conference.
For this position, candidates based in the city of the venue (Vienna) and having a good knowledge of the city will be considered first. Prior experience in event management is an asset.
2. Administration Coordinator
The Congress Administration Coordinator is in charge of various tasks, including:
- sending invitations for the conference to political science departments;
- preparing newsletters and other communications for the participants;
- monitoring all registrations and payments;
- replying to inquiries from participants and interested students;
- drafting visa invitation letters for participants who require them;
- setting-up the evaluation process of the World Congress (event survey, data assessment). Knowledge of WordPress and Mailchimp is appreciated. Administration Coordinator Assistant
3. Administration Coordinator Assistant
The Congress Administration Coordinator Assistant assists the coordinator in the above-mentioned tasks.
4. Sponsorship and Grants Coordinator
The Sponsorship and Grants Coordinator is in charge of various tasks, including:
- working with the Treasurer, Deputy Treasurer, and Fundraising Coordinator to secure grants
- creating and managing sponsorship and advertisement packages;
- mapping and securing potential sponsors – international, national and local
5. Speakers Coordinator
The Speakers Coordinator is responsible for the conceptualization and setting-up of the speakers program of the World Congress:
- drafting the speakers program of the World Congress:
- creating, sharing, and gathering lists of potential speakers, in cooperation with our contacts at the Central European University Department of Political Science
- contacting and securing the presence of speakers, overseeing similar processes with IAPSS partners’ speakers;
- communicating with booked speakers, and arranging logistical matters (e.g. travel and accommodation details, meetings, presentation slides)
- greeting the speakers on site and attending speaker lunches (if applicable)
Previous experience with program management is highly desirable.
6. Speakers Coordinator Assistant
The Speakers Coordinator Assistant assists the coordinator in the above-mentioned tasks.
7. Promotion Coordinator
The Promotion Coordinator is in charge of the social media marketing of the World Congress, and is working towards the increase of the financial capabilities of the event, by securing either sponsorships or services. He/she will work closely with the International Cooperation and Public Relations (ICPR) Department.
- drafting and implementing the Congress’ social media communication strategies, in cooperation with IAPSS Europe Media Coordinator
- helping to update and improve the World Congress pages on the IAPSS website
- designing and adapting the printed materials of the World Congress such as but not limited to the guidebook, certificates, and badges based on existing templates
Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and/or InDesign, or willingness to learn independently, is appreciated.
8. Panels Coordinator
The Panels Coordinator is primarily in charge of the administration of the student panels, and cooperates closely with the IAPSS Academic Coordinator and the Academic Committee, a newly formed body in charge of the academic management (review and selection of abstracts, papers, scholarships and awards recipients) of the World Congress. The responsibilities include:
- creating and managing various submission platforms – abstract, papers, travel grants and chair/discussant applications;
- replying to inquiries from paper presenters, chairs and discussants;
- preparing communications and documentation for panelists;
- finalising the student panels together with the IAPSS Academic Committee;
- drafting letters of acceptance for panelists who require them;
- supervising the on-site management of the student panels;
- Good Knowledge of the German language is highly desirable
Knowledge of WordPress and Mailchimp is not required, although appreciated. Previous experience from attending and/or organising academic conferences is desirable.
Furthermore, all position-holders have common responsibilities, such as:
- participating in weekly Skype meetings with the Head of Department.
- writing website, newsletters, and guidebook contents related to their fields;
- maintaining and/or improving the guidelines and handover documents related to their positions;
- other department-related tasks assigned by the Head of the Department.
All positions require:
- a high degree of mutual responsibility, motivation, self-initiative and dedication, combined with reliability and flexibility with regards to the work in a highly international environment with a strong intercultural competence;
- readiness to devote approximately 10 hours per week to the execution of the various tasks that come together with the positions;
- availability to be in Vienna between the 20th and the 24th of April 2020 in order to attend the World Congress.
- excellent command of the English language (spoken and written) and strong communication skills; Good communication skills in German are desirable although not required.
- current or recent enrollment in a political science or related programme (of any educational level including undergraduate, graduate studies, or PhD position);
- Experience and willingness to work with a high degree of organisational and conceptual freedom, but punctual and committed to adhere to work-related frameworks.
It is beneficial if candidates have:
- experience with organising events and/or conferences;
- attended IAPSS events in the past.
Framework of the Positions
The positions are – as all other positions within IAPSS – voluntary and unpaid, and apply for the period from the 14th of November 2019 to 31st of May 2020. Costs and expenses related to the execution of the position (e.g. for travel, accommodation, public transport) are NOT covered by IAPSS.
Occupying one of the positions implies that you are a member of IAPSS at the moment of your installment (14th of November 2019). IAPSS membership embraces a wide range of benefits and services and comes at a student-friendly rate of either 10 or 15 EUR p.a. depending on your country of origin. Discounted rates are available for two-year memberships.
Please send your CV, a letter of motivation (max. 1 page, referring to your experience, skills, interests, and plans related to the position of interest) to email@example.com no later than November 5th.
All applicants will be notified of whether they have proceed to the interview round round within 7 working days of the application deadline.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a Skype interview. The official installment will take place on November 14th, but you will be integrated in the running work processes right after the acceptance of the position. Please do not hesitate to contact us in case of further questions or inquiries.
On behalf of the IAPSS Executive Committee,
Head of World Congress Department
International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS)
Postbox 9108 | 6500HK Nijmegen | The Netherlandsworldcongress@iapss.org
www.iapss.org | www.facebook.com/iapss | www.twitter.com/iapss