Extended deadline for applications: 29 January 2018
CALL for APPLICATIONS
for IAPSS Section on “The Promises and Perils of Globalization”
at the General Conference of the European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR)
22 – 25 August 2018 | Universität Hamburg | Germany
About the IAPSS Delegation
The International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS) welcomes abstract submissions from senior students and junior scholars of political science, international relations and related fields, for its delegation at the upcoming ECPR General Conference 2018. The conference will be held from 22 to 25 August 2018 at Universität Hamburg in Germany.
We encourage contributions focusing on conceptual, theoretical and empirical aspects related to the diversity and globalization, from advanced students and junior researchers from all around the globe.
The section proposed by IAPSS is based on the thematic framework of 2018 IAPSS Annual Theme ‘Diversity and Globalization’.
The phenomenon of globalization is one of the most contested ones of our age. This Section aims to subject to critical scrutiny the ways in which it is understood in selected contexts as well as its relationship to selected other phenomena, such as justice, equality, and diversity. Answering specific research questions linked to how increasing interconnectedness contributes to, or hinders, the spread of values commonly related to democratic societies promises to:
- gain a better understanding of the concept and elements of globalization;
- identify practical solutions to the problems posed by globalization, that may rest in individual participation and engagement, as well as policy-making actions and implementation of policy measures on the ground;
- critically reflect on scholarship arguing for the benefits triggered by globalization, but also on the rejection of these benefits by the critics of globalization;
- question the very existence of globalization in areas spatially or temporarily determined.
Our Section aims to stimulate dialogue, academic exchange and interaction between senior and junior scholars (post-docs, postgraduate and experienced graduate students). It addresses particular issues related to globalization and reflects upon existing puzzles and possible solutions. Topics covered range from the nexus between globalization, justice, equality/inequality, the broad spectrum of authority relations and the role of international organizations in the contemporary globalized world. Innovative theoretical and empirical approaches are welcome
While we will evaluate all submissions that relate to the broader thematic framework, we are particularly interested in receiving abstracts related to the following topics:
- how globalization affects (the possibilities for) diversity in local, regional as well as international contexts;
- theoretical approaches to globalization;
- the relations between justice and globalization;
- democratization (or the lack thereof) of authority relations as a result of globalization;
- the role of international organizations in the contemporary globalized world;
- new forms of democratic interactions in relation to growing interconnectedness;
- role of non-state actors in present day international relations;
- security in a globalized world.
Submit your Application to the IAPSS Section: Why?
- it is a unique opportunity for junior scholars to attend a high-level academic conference, present their research and interact with renowned professors;
- successful papers presenters, chairs and discussants of the IAPSS panels will receive an exclusive IAPSS certificate of recognition for their contribution to the IAPSS Section;
- besides participating at the largest Political Science conference in Europe in 2018, participants successfully applying for a position in the IAPSS Section will have the opportunity to continue the networking and, if interested, establish long-term cooperation on academic topics of mutual interest;
- depending on the number of participants in the IAPSS Section, a separate information/social event related to IAPSS will be held, where participants will get the chance to learn about all the opportunities for their potential further engagement in IAPSS;
- successfully presented papers may be submitted to one of the IAPSS journals (Politikon or Encuentro Latioamericano) for review after the ECPR General Conference.
Guidelines for Applications
- Paper presenters: Please send your abstract (maximum 500 words) with the title of the proposed paper, 3-8 keywords, your name, subject(s) of study, home university, contact details, and a two-page CV in two separate files to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send any additional documents or text as these will not be considered.
- Chairs and discussants: Please send a short position paper (up to 300 words) on the topic on one of the above listed topics as well as a two-page CV, with emphasis put on your previous chair/discussant experiences to email@example.com.
Both for abstract submissions and applications for chairs or discussants, the extended deadline is 29 January 2018. For all positions, IAPSS membership is mandatory once the selection is finalized. Please find an overview of the wide range of services and benefits of IAPSS membership, and the online application form here.
Please note, that IAPSS is not able to provide financial support for participation in the IAPSS delegation. Successful applicants will be responsible for covering all expenses, such as registration, travel and accommodation costs. However, we are happy to provide successful applicants with support letters for any individual grant or scholarship applications that could ensure their participation at the conference.
For any further information, please do not hesitate to send an e-mail with your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS)
Nijmegen | The Netherlands
www.iapss.org | www.facebook.com/iapss | www.twitter.com/iapss
 Graduate and postgraduate students qualify as senior students. Abstracts from undergraduate students will also be reviewed but accepted only when combined with a particularly strong early-stage academic profile.
Photo source: Wikimedia Commons.