Call for Applications
of the journals of the International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS) Politikon: IAPSS Journal of Political Science and Encuentro Latinoamericano: Journal of Political Science and International Relations
Deadline: 25 February 2018 23:59 CET
The International Association for Political Science Students – the largest global representation of students and junior researchers of Political Science and related disciplines – is herewith launching a Call for Applications for the positions of Editorial Assistant for its two journals.
An Editorial Assistant works within the IAPSS Academic Department in close cooperation with the Editors-in-Chief and Deputy Editors-in-Chief of one or both journals (according to internal allocations).
The two IAPSS journals (Politikon and ELA) are among the leading journals in the discipline managed by students and junior researchers. They are currently indexed in International Political Science Abstracts, J-Gate and deposited in Crossref.
The Editorial Assistant contributes to the successful publication process and quality development of the IAPSS journals by mainly, but not exclusively
- proofreading draft articles accepted for publication;
- editing reference lists of academic articles;
- formatting papers in MS Word or another suitable program;
- depositing metadata of articles for IAPSS journals (in case of lack of specialized knowledge on depositing metadata, an introductory training will be provided).
A suitable candidate is required to
- be a student in one of the fields of political science, international relations or public policy, or a graduate with a degree obtained no less than five years previous;
- possess command of the English language at the level of a native speaker (C2 of the Common European Framework for Reference of Languages).
Furthermore, the position demands
- dedication to the job;
- excellent command of MS Word;
- strong organizational skills;
- a professional level of communication;
- efficient time management;
- the capacity to meet deadlines.
It is beneficial if the candidate
- possesses command of either or both of the following languages at the level of a native speaker or at advanced level (C2 or C1 of the Common European Framework for Reference of Languages): Spanish, Portuguese;
- has experience with Adobe InDesign and with graphic design;
- has previous experience in editing with journals, blogs, newspapers or other outlets;
- understands the process of depositing metadata and indexing services.
- The position is – as all other positions within IAPSS – unpaid and extends until mutual satisfaction of the position-holder and the IAPSS Board, represented by the Editors-in-Chief of the two journals and the Head of the Academic Department.
- In addition, occupying the position implies that you are a member of IAPSS at the moment of your installment and during your whole term as Editorial Assistant. Therefore, if you are not already a member you will be required to apply for membership in case of acceptance.
- The position provides a unique insight into the academic publishing process that is particularly relevant for undergraduate or early graduate students with an interest in academic publishing and research.
- The position offers the chance to contribute to the quality of the IAPSS journals, and thus advance career prospects related to editing and proofreading.
- Through the interaction with the Editorial Boards of IAPSS journals, the position-holder will be able to establish new contacts and gain a better understanding of the functioning of IAPSS Academics.
- Upon satisfaction with the performed task, it is possible to receive a certificate from the respective journal Editor-in-Chief, or a letter of recommendation. On a case-by-case basis, the position can be classified as an unpaid internship for which it is possible to earn ECTS credits (depending on the individual’s university regulations).
If you would like to apply, please, send us
- your CV (max. 2 pages) alongside
- a language certificate that confirms your advanced-level English skills (native speakers are exempted from this requirement while for those who graduated from a program fully taught in English it is sufficient to provide a scan of their diploma)
- a one-page letter of motivation incl. references to relevant personal and academic experiences
to email@example.com until 25 February 2018 23:59 CET.
Selected applicants will receive a test article to edit in order to demonstrate their qualification for the position.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org in case of further questions or inquiries.
Vice President and Head of the Academic Department
Editor-in-Chief of Politikon
Editor-in-Chief of Encuentro Latinoamericano