Deadline for applications: 12 September 2018
Call for Applications
for the journals of the International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS) Politikon: IAPSS Journal of Political Science and Encuentro Latinoamericano: Journal of Political Science and International Relations
The International Association for Political Science Students – the largest global representation of students and junior researchers of Political Science and related disciplines – is herewith launching a Call for Applications for the positions of Editorial Assistant for its two journals.
An Editorial Assistant works within the IAPSS Academic Department in close cooperation with the Editors-in-Chief and Deputy Editors-in-Chief of both journals (according to internal allocations).
The two IAPSS journals (Politikon and ELA) are among the leading journals in the discipline managed by students and junior researchers. They are currently indexed in International Political Science Abstracts, J-Gate, and deposited in Crossref.
The Editorial Assistant contributes to the successful publication process and quality development of the IAPSS journals by mainly, but not exclusively:
- proofreading draft articles accepted for publication;
- editing reference lists of academic articles;
- formatting papers in MS Word or another suitable program; and
- depositing metadata of articles for IAPSS journals.
A suitable candidate IS REQUIRED to:
- be a student in one of the fields of political science, international relations, law, public policy or economics, or a graduate with a degree obtained no less than seven years prior to application; and
- possess command of the English language at the level of a native speaker (C2 of the Common European Framework for Reference of Languages).
Furthermore, the position demands:
- dedication to the job;
- excellent command of MS Word;
- strong organizational skills;
- a professional level of communication;
- efficient time management; and
- the capacity to meet deadlines.
It is beneficial if candidates
- possess command of Spanish and/or Portuguese at the level of a native speaker or at advanced level (C2 or C1 of the Common European Framework for Reference of Languages);
- have experience with Adobe InDesign and with graphic design;
- have previous experience in editing with journals, blogs, newspapers. or other outlets; and
- understand the process of depositing metadata and indexing services.
- The position is – as all other positions within IAPSS – UNPAID and extends until the mutual satisfaction of the position-holder and the IAPSS Board, represented by the Editors-in-Chief of the two journals and the Head of the Academic Department.
- In addition, occupying the position implies that you are a member of IAPSS at the moment of your installment and during your whole term as Editorial Assistant. Therefore, if you are not already a member, you will be required to apply for membership in case you are accepted as an Editorial Assistant.
- The position provides a unique insight into the academic publishing process that is particularly relevant for undergraduate or early graduate students with an interest in academic publishing and research.
- The position offers the chance to contribute to the quality of the IAPSS journals, and thus advance career prospects related to editing and proofreading.
- Through the interaction with the Editorial Boards of IAPSS journals, the position-holder will be able to establish new contacts and gain a better understanding of the functioning of IAPSS Academics.
- Upon satisfaction with the performed tasks, it is possible to receive a certificate from the respective journal Editor-in-Chief, or a letter of recommendation. On a case-by-case basis, the position can be classified as an unpaid internship for which it is possible to earn ECTS credits (depending on the individual’s university regulations).
- Depending on academic qualifications and expertise, demonstrated motivation, excellence in the performed tasks, and vacancies in the Editorial Board of either of the IAPSS journals, an Editorial Assistant might receive an offer for promotion to an Editor of one of the IAPSS journals.
If you would like to apply, please send us your CV (max. 2 pages) – including references to relevant personal and academic experiences – alongside a 1-page letter of motivation to (1) firstname.lastname@example.org, (2) email@example.com and (3) firstname.lastname@example.org until 12 September 2018. Selected applicants will receive a test article to edit in order to demonstrate their qualification for the position.
Please do not hesitate to contact us via email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com in case of further questions or inquiries.
Mihai Sebastian Chihaia
Head of the Academic Department
Editor-in-Chief of Politikon
Editor-in-Chief of Encuentro Latinoamericano
 In the event of a lack of specialized knowledge, introductory training will be provided.